Frequently Asked Questions
1. How Old Must I Be In Order To Take The Flagging Class?
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) has determined through its Oversight Committee that students must be at least 18 years of age in order to take the flagging class and be a certified flagger.
2. How Long Is The Flagging Class?
The initial flagging class is 6-8 hours. This applies to those students never having had flagger training or for those whose certification card has expired. Periodically we do offer the re-certification flagging class that usually last for at least 4 hours. This class is only for those flaggers with current flagging cards.
3. Is My Flagger Certification Good In Other States?
Yes - the Washington State Flaggers Certification is also accepted in Oregon, Idaho, and Montana.
4. How Long Is The Flagger Certification Card Good For?
The Washington State Flaggers Certification is good for three years.
5. Do I Need A Drivers License To Be A Flagger?
You do not need a drivers license in order to take the Flagging Class. However, many of the companies wanting to hire flaggers may require you to have a drivers license or get one within a short period of time.
6. Do I Need To Take The Pilot Escort Vehicle Operator (PEVO) Class In Order To Work As A Flagger?
No - these are entirely separate certifications. Pilot Car drivers within a construction zone do not need to be certified as "Pilot Escort Vehicle Operators". PEVO is a separate certification for people wanting to escort "Oversize Loads" on runs over state highways. These are the "Pilot" vehicles you see escorting large or oversize equipment over the road, usually with one in front of the oversize load and one in back.
7. Do I really need to have a PEVO certification and what happens if I get stopped and don't have it?
8. What are the particulars with this PEVO class?
The WA State Pilot Escort Vehicle Operator (PEVO) class is structured similar to the Flagging Class. It is a one day class that runs for approx. 8 hours, unless it is a re-certification class which will run for about 4 hours. The certification is good for three years. See Tuition page for cost.
9. Do I get hired after I complete the Flagging or PEVO class ?
Northwest Safety Enterprises does not hire Pilot Escorts or Flaggers. We do, however, provide our graduating students with a hand-out containing lists of employers that do hire people with these certifications. These hand-outs also contain other essential links to important employment opportunities.
If you have questions that are not addressed on this site please email us or Call 509-684-7632 and we will do our best to answer your questions or help you find where you can get answers. We are available M-F 9:00am to 4:00pm.